Region: North America
PSN EU: Miinou
PSN US: Prospero42
PSN HK: Bellavita
PSN JP: Kniihai
Playfire: Prospero

FFXIV Review Scores?

Post by Prospero » 16 Oct 2010, 01:11

This is for those who may have seen FFXIV's scores or read reviews and were turned off; don't be.
The main complaints in the reviews that I feel are unwarranted are 1) User Interface 2) Lag 3) Content and 4) Fatigue.

1) Interface - With games designed strictly for a keyboard or keyboard and mouse, you would want (and expect) hotkeys, double clicks, and drag and drop shortcuts. Knowing some gamers will be limited to just the PS3 controller, FFXIV has a more involved menu interface instead. If you're used to the simplicity of a controller, it works well and you'll probably be happy with this.

Personally I'm happy with the menus except for the one extra screen while doing crafting quests. My only real complaint regarding the interface is the lack of an auto sort for your inventory. Hopefully that gets added soon.

2) Lag - I'd say almost all the complaints about lag are actually due to the reviewers having their graphics set too high for their hardware or individual users that only tried the beta. I find that it seems like lag from the servers when you're around a busy area, but if I tone down my graphics settings, it runs great even when there's lots of people around and still looks pretty good. With regards to actual lag, I find it's already miles better than during beta and still not that bad. Another thing to remember is that this is an MMO in it's infancy and as more servers are added to match subscriptions and the graphics continue to be optimized, this should only get better.

3) Content - Really? I would compare a regular release game to a movie while MMO's are more kind of like television shows. When the pilot airs, although you may have most of the characters, they haven't been fully developed and future story lines haven't been laid out. There is already a large variety of abilities to develop your character, a huge world to explore, and as MMO's mature more quests and roles get added; they don't start out as finished products.

4) Fatigue - Basically FFXIV has a leveling system in place where initially you receive a lot of experience and after you've gained xxx amount, you will start receiving less and less until you stop leveling completely. Although this limit is reset weekly and you can avoid it by switching character classes, it hardly comes into play at all. In all honesty you probably won't even reach the limit where your experience starts to get reduced unless you're grinding 24/7. The only time Fatigue was an issue was during closed beta when due to a glitch, the amount of xp received was increased but the limit hadn't been changed.

I'm actually really enjoying FFXIV and I'd give it a 7.5 or even 8 out of 10 as it stands.
The only reason I took away points was for the current state of it's market system.
I understand that an action house is in the works and a reorganizing of the markets or a search function is in the next update, but as it is it's almost unusable and should have been corrected before release.

Prospero
Old Gamer
Region: North America
PSN EU: Miinou
PSN US: Prospero42
PSN HK: Bellavita
PSN JP: Kniihai
Playfire: Prospero

Re: FFXIV Review Scores?

Post by Prospero » 20 Oct 2010, 18:03

Huh. Either I'm a grumpier old git than I thought, or I really let those reviews get to me.
That previous post could probably be shortened down to "try it for yourself". LoL

On a follow up note, I find the newly categorized markets work fantastic now and answered my worries.
Inventory sort has also been confirmed and is probably the last interface update I'm wanting.

With the PS3 version still 5 months away, us console gamers should be pretty happy by then. :excited:

forkless
Wireless Controller
Skype Messenger: forkless
Region: Europe
PSN US: spoonmore
PSN HK: Forkie_Chan
PSN JP: forkIess
Playfire: forkless

Re: FFXIV Review Scores?

Post by forkless » 20 Oct 2010, 20:00

It's this video review that did it for me...

Absolutely stunning graphics but gah, how much cutscenes and fishing can one person take! Only Tuna Barrett methinks.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF7vrQ04_q4&feature=channel[/video]

ps. be warned this is an 8 part review that takes nearly two hours...

Return to “PC Games”