New Gamer
Region: Europe
PSN EU: sanmartinez
XBOX Live: UNIT x BigDaddy
Playfire: UNIT_X_BigDaddy
Twitter: SanMartinezR

Dead Island

Post by sanmartinez » 11 Jan 2012, 11:11

Have bought this game on launch, but was affected by numerous bugs and glitches so couldnt play it anymore. Now that there has been a patch (couple months ago) I want to getback at this

Wanting to know if there is anyone here that wants to play. I know Forrest has this (and zombiekilling with Forrest is always good) but maybe there are more?
"All good things of this earth flow into the city"

zorbasan
Old Gamer
PSN EU: zorbasan
PSN US: incasan
XBOX Live: zorbasan
Playfire: zorbasan
Twitter: zorbasan

Re: Dead Island

Post by zorbasan » 11 Jan 2012, 11:27

i got it. Still need some trophies so no probs when you got a co-op going on with forrest.....
do not take me too seriously, i know i don't....

sanmartinez
New Gamer

Post by sanmartinez » 11 Jan 2012, 13:28

zorbasan wrote:i got it. Still need some trophies so no probs when you got a co-op going on with forrest.....

Well technically I havent played this one with Forrest, but we did do some Dead Rising 2 together (to get him through the co op story) and we had good fun.
Just stated he got it as I saw him playing and wondered if we could get 4 co op players together. Havent played since september to be honest

zorbasan
Old Gamer

Post by zorbasan » 11 Jan 2012, 13:49

same here. Still need to do one assignment with 4 player co-op for the trophy so i am up for it. Just hope my save game is still alive....

Had a bit of a PS3 crash around that time...

Forrest_01
PSN EU: Forrest_01
Twitter: Forrest_01

Post by Forrest_01 » 11 Jan 2012, 14:59

Yer, i do indeed have it & i happen to know that forky does too. :friendlysmile:

I have done some co-op with him already, but i got a bit lost as to what was happening to the story (after missing talking to a couple of people & warping a couple of places to catch up), so decided to start a single player run not long after so that i could stay on top of what was supposedly going on.

I haven't finished the single player run as other things have come up since, but I think i do still have a save file for the co-op game that i abandoned & as long as i do, we could just use that i guess (as it was relatively near the start i think).

Of course, i am also happy to join one of you & work things that way - In fact, that may be better as i may be able to use my higher level character.
There is one thing in this world that i am certain about. & that is that i am not certain about anything.

zorbasan
Old Gamer

Post by zorbasan » 11 Jan 2012, 15:29

Dead Island does not have a thing called SP i think. You can simply use the save file to load a character and join an online game and depending on your progress, the progress in the game session will be added to your 'SP' save file.

The only thing i am slightly worried about is the bug in Dead Island that used to cause online play mess up your save game. I never had this unfortunate event but have heard from others that it does happen. Any word on them fixing this issue ?

Forrest_01

Post by Forrest_01 » 11 Jan 2012, 19:10

zorbasan wrote:Dead Island does not have a thing called SP i think. You can simply use the save file to load a character and join an online game and depending on your progress, the progress in the game session will be added to your 'SP' save file.

The only thing i am slightly worried about is the bug in Dead Island that used to cause online play mess up your save game. I never had this unfortunate event but have heard from others that it does happen. Any word on them fixing this issue ?

I think they patched it mate, but cannot 100% guarantee that is the case.

All i know is that there was a 350(ish)MB update when i first popped it in & i believe that might have been to address the very issue that you mentioned.
Might be worth a quick Google... :secretsmile:
There is one thing in this world that i am certain about. & that is that i am not certain about anything.

Starkiller257
New Gamer
Skype Messenger: Cliffy257
Region: Australasia
PSN EU: Cliffy488
PSN US: Cliffy488
Twitter: cliffy257

Post by Starkiller257 » 12 Jan 2012, 01:36

Have watching this game with great interest, need to finish some other games though otherwise they will never get finished

Forrest_01

Post by Forrest_01 » 12 Jan 2012, 15:45

Aha - After a little Googling, i found this. As at 10th November 2011;

The Dead Island official Twitter touted this patch “Contains all of the updates that have been rolled out for PC to date”.
Weapons mods, blueprints, raised level cap to 60 and corrupt game save fixes are also included.

This patch includes the following fixes:

1) Gameplay improvements
Level cap raised to 60
New blueprints for weapon mods added
Infected damage reduced
Infected no longer interrupt player attacks
A series of improvements to subsequent playthroughs implemented
Quest XP rewards adjusted
XP rewards for challenges adjusted
In subsequent playthroughs XP is awarded for all quests completed in co-op
Purna’s ammo carrying capacity increased by 50%
Character state from a save game can now be loaded when using the Start from Chapter option
New balancing option added: enemy levels can now be adjusted independently for each co-op player
Players respawn with more health
Picklock skill level required to open a lock is now clearly indicated
Improved rewards in weapon crates
All weapon crates now contain rewards
Kick ability balanced, now requires stamina
Items can now be picked up instantly; this is reflected in adjusted animations

2) Fixes and interface improvements
Fix: players are no longer left without a weapon after dropping the equipped item and healing with a medkit.
Fix: equipped items no longer swap mysteriously after drinking an energy drink
Fix: loot from dead enemies is now always identical for all co-op players
Fix: Purna no longer finishes her Fury with fists equipped
Fix: map tracking after death
Fix: zone info in the quarantine zone (City of Moresby)
Tweak: healing with medkits from inventory works better, makes smarter choices of medkits
Tweak: respawn point selection is now smarter

3) General
Improved stability and network performance in co-op
Quest and reward fixes implemented

Why there is no specific mention to the corrupt save file issue in the patch notes is beyond me (unless i missed it whilst skimming?), but i am happy enough with a tweet from the devs to confirm.

I am also yet to have any issues with co-op myself.

*touches wood*

zorbasan
Old Gamer

Post by zorbasan » 15 Jan 2012, 22:55

all good .....

so no probs then. Now all i need is to find my save file again.....

Forrest_01

Post by Forrest_01 » 18 Jan 2012, 14:45

zorbasan wrote:all good .....

so no probs then. Now all i need is to find my save file again.....

Is it not on your PS3?? :amazing:

zorbasan
Old Gamer

Post by zorbasan » 19 Jan 2012, 00:33

had a bit of a ps3 crash in the summer. So stuff was lost. Didnt check the dead island save files yet...

Forrest_01

Post by Forrest_01 » 19 Jan 2012, 15:11

Ah, i see.
Stuff like that really twizzles my sticks (although it would be my fault if it happens to me as i can't backup). :badegg:

sanmartinez
New Gamer

Post by sanmartinez » 22 Jan 2012, 23:21

That sucks indeed. Have luckily never been in such a situation (knocks on wood).
But that's also part of my subscription to PS Plus is for; the Automatic Patch and Backup. All (to me) important games are backed up on a server daily

Forrest_01

Post by Forrest_01 » 24 Jan 2012, 16:45

sanmartinez wrote:That sucks indeed. Have luckily never been in such a situation (knocks on wood).
But that's also part of my subscription to PS Plus is for; the Automatic Patch and Backup. All (to me) important games are backed up on a server daily

The only selling point of plus as far as i am concerned. :scorn:

Seriously, if they just released a version of plus that was just cloud saves & maybe the other thing here or there at a cheaper price point, i's be all over it.

zorbasan
Old Gamer

Post by zorbasan » 26 Jan 2012, 15:50

very true. the freebees you get are either games that i already own because the have already caught my eye or are of a very rubbish quality that i have skipped them all together.

so yes, the only reason i have this plus thinggie is because of the cloud saving bit.

Forrest_01

Post by Forrest_01 » 26 Jan 2012, 16:05

zorbasan wrote:very true. the freebees you get are either games that i already own because the have already caught my eye or are of a very rubbish quality that i have skipped them all together.

so yes, the only reason i have this plus thinggie is because of the cloud saving bit.

Yeah, I think they have missed a trick there, as they are missing out on me subscribing, purely because I don’t need nor have space for all the [strike]crap[/strike] freebies that they provide each month.

I think if they just released an offer to be able to use the cloud (as I mentioned, for a reduced price of course), I would definitely take it up & there has to be a few thousand others that feel the same as me too! That’s a lot of additional revenue that they could be making with just a small exception to the plus service.

Fools! Weak minded fools! :doh:

zorbasan
Old Gamer

Post by zorbasan » 30 Jan 2012, 19:22

+1 (eventhough i did subcribe so i would not be among the few thousand you mention. But hey, I am a sucker when it comes to spending money)

yogh_wayne
New Gamer
PSN EU: yogh_wayne

Post by yogh_wayne » 31 Jan 2012, 17:21

Yeah, the cloud saving is the main reason why I prolonged my plus subscription too. Occasionally there's also really cool free stuff, but I just love to have the possibility to back up hundreds of hours progress in games like Dark Souls.

About Dead Island: I was wondering if one of you has the arena DLC? I got it for free as pre-order bonus, but haven't touched it yet, since it was released after I finished the main game. Really loved Dead Island, despite the occasional glitch and losing a lot of progress due to a corrupted save file once (obviously I had too many units of one item in my inventory) :badsmile:

Forrest_01

Post by Forrest_01 » 31 Jan 2012, 18:13

Unfortunately mate, i don't - I was quite late to the party by picking up a cheap copy (once i knew it had been patched), so i didn't get that & at £7.99 (if i recall correctly), it's a bit pricey just to be buying off the cuff.

If its good then that may be another matter, but it will have to be really good for me to part with £8 for DLC.

Return to “RPG: General”